Thursday, July 8, 2010

Being Critical of the Aquino Administration


I am not critical of the Aquino administration if by critical means being “inclined to judge severely and find fault”. I was critical of the administration of Gloria-Macapagal Arroyo. So much so that I stopped posting a blog after writing that she should step down as a result of the dark cloud of doubt that engulfed her election in 2004.

Personally, I like the new president for his simplicity and sincerity. I had the chance to listen and watch his interviews on television. It is hard not to admire a fresh face and a new voice in the country’s political landscape. An admiration that is in stark contrast to what one normally feels upon seeing the face or hearing the voice of the former president.


I am proud of our new president.


So much so that if he or his administration commits mistakes, I have to be critical of such mistakes so that there will be time for alternative courses of action. I will not be critical of the administration just for the sake of being critical. I shall endeavor to engage the administration in constructive criticism hoping that such rule of engagement will make whatever difference in my personal, social, community or national life.


For instance, I do not think it was nice for the president not to acknowledge Chief Justice Corona of the Supreme Court during his Inaugural Speech given the fact that he acknowledged by name the Senate President and the Speaker of the House of Representatives. Without necessarily imputing intentions or motives to the president, I think that such omission was tantamount to a clear breach of decorum. If the president is unhappy that Corona did not resign his position as chief justice of the Supreme Court, then he must contest the possible “midnight” appointment of Corona using the force of reason and the rule of law. If the president simply missed to acknowledge Mr. Corona, then I think he should have conveyed an apology to Mr. Corona.


Not that I am happy that Corona was appointed as head of the high court. Personally, I think Corona should resign his position, citing national interest, national reconciliation, or plain delicadeza and common sense. I think people will think more highly of him if he voluntarily vacates his position. Hopefully, the new president will also think highly of him and then refuse to accept his resignation.


This is not to say also that I do not recognize the process that went through the appointment of Mr. Corona. The legal aspects of his appointment have been discussed quite thoroughly. As a citizen, however, I think that an appointment can be legal but not necessarily proper. 


Appointments to public positions require public trust. If the appointing officer, with whom such trust is entrusted, is under serious doubt, thereby making the process of appointment questionable, then it would have been better if the appointment was not made or the person who benefited from such appointment relinquishes the position in order to safeguard or restore whatever credibility is left on the high court. 


I am, therefore, arguing on meta-legal grounds. Indeed, there are more things on heaven and on earth than are dreamed of in our laws and jurisprudence.


Another instance is the rendition by popular Filipino artists of songs that were meant to kill the time, rather than inspire the people in attendance, so that the speech of the new president will be on the desired moment. Those insertions marred the solemnity of the occasion. Although I respect the right of the artists to express their creative powers, it should have been done during the party held at Quezon Memorial Circle, where the new president shared a festive moment with friends, supporters and admirers.


I have no illusion of grandeur. I do not feel that I am important. I am just a blogger. As an ordinary citizen, I shall write what I think and think what I write. But in a manner that will not violate the right of other people. My intention is simply to share what I think with the hope that other citizens will express their thoughts and feelings to make our country a better place to live in.


So help us God.

No comments: